...

Dogs or cats? (To prove Mr. Starace wrong)

My Relationship With Media 11/24/17


        I consume a lot of media. We all do. And in 2017, it's harder than ever to not be involved with the consumption of media that surrounds us. From watching TV to reading magazines and things we see online, it's safe to say that media plays a huge role in our lives. I'd like to think that I've never been swayed by seeing an ad online but I feel like there is no way to avoid it. It's more of a subconscious thing and that is probably what gets most people when it comes to seeing advertisements. In very few instances I have seen an ad and immediately turned around and thought about buying what was advertised.

        What's becoming scarier about media as a whole is that it is turning into something that is personal for the individual consuming it. I'll be looking at a product online, and then a day or two later, I'll notice that the advertisements I am seeing are for the product I was looking at previously. It is very concerning to think about this on an over exaggerated grand scale: like if I were to visit New York and walk into Times Square and see on the giant screens advertisements for things I may want to buy and it is different for each person who looks at the screen.

Comments

  1. I agree that it's unnerving knowing that the more we immerse ourselves in this network of connections and communication, the more personal it becomes, and the harder it is to separate yourself. We are so aware of the media’s presence in our lives and so used to being able to access an international World Wide Web anywhere and with anything, that it’s difficult to avoid dependence.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We're Living in a Privacy-Free Age 12/15/17

Harmful Effects of Social Media's Techniques of Dragging us in Outside of the Platforms 1/5/18

"Merchants of Cool" and the Unsustainable Fashion Industry 1/6/18